Faith Formation Parish Information
St. Mary of the Lakes Catholic Church embraces Fruitful Lifelong Faith Formation. By experiencing the living Word of God, through liturgical prayer and worship, the celebration of the Sacraments and apostolic service, our parish family lives out the Church’s mission of evangelization.
With an adult-centered focus, including moral formation and continued growth in the knowledge of our faith and by providing age-appropriate opportunities for conversion and communion with Jesus Christ, families are empowered to witness and pass along the faith to our future generations.
Parents are the first and foremost catechists of their children. They catechize informally but powerfully by example and instruction. They communicate values and attitudes by showing love for Christ and His Church and for each other, by reverently receiving the Eucharist and living its spirit, and by fostering justice and love in all their relationships. Their active involvement in the parish, their readiness to seek opportunities to serve others, and their practice of frequent and spontaneous prayer all make meaningful their professions of belief. Parents nurture faith in their children by showing them the richness and beauty of lived faith.
From “Sharing the Light of Faith,"
The National Catechetical Directory of the United States, 1978
Nature and Purpose of Catechesis (General Directory of Catechesis, no. 82):
"Catechesis is that particular form of the ministry of the Word which matures initial conversion to make it into a living, explicit and fruitful confession of faith."
Tasks of Catechesis (from the National Directory of Catechesis, no 19 & 20):
"Catechesis aims to bring about in the believer an ever more mature faith in Jesus Christ, a deeper knowledge and love of His person and message, and a firm commitment to follow him...The object of Catechesis is communion with Jesus Christ. Catechesis leads people to enter into the mystery of Christ, to encounter Him, and to discover themselves and the menaion for heir lives in him. 'At the heart of Catechesis we find, in essence, a Person, the Person of Jesus of Nazareth, the only Son from the the Father.. full of grace and truth, who suffered and died for us and who now after rising, is living with us forever."
- Promotes knowledge of the faith
- Promotes a knowledge of the meaning of the Liturgy and the sacraments
- Promotes moral formation in Jesus Christ
- Teaches the Christian how to pray with Christ
- Prepares the Christian to live in community and to participate in the life and mission of the Church
- Promotes a missionary spirit that prepares the faithful to be present as Christians in society
- Catholic School students have religious education daily in the school year (180 days/per for 12-13 years). Parish programs only meet once per week (~30 days/year). Children should be/continue in the program from age 3 through high school. Los estudiantes en Escuelas Católicas tienen educación religiosa diariamente durante el año escolar. Los programas parroquiales sólo se reúnen una vez por semana (los niños deben estar / continuar en el programa desde la edad de 3 hasta la HS).
- Therefore, unless your child attends Catholic School, at least one year of age-appropriate parish formation is required the year prior to enrolling for a sacramental year. Por lo tanto, antes de inscribirse para clases de sacramentos, a menos que su hijo asista a una Escuela Católica, se requiere por lo menos un año de formación parroquial, el año anterior, apropiada para la edad.
- 1st Communion is a 1/2 year Spring program which is concurrent to the regular Faith Formation classes. La 1ª Comunión es un programa Primaveral de ½ año concurrente a las clases regulares de Formación de Fe.
- All Confirmation students complete a 1.5 year formation in the Catholic Faith before beginning the 1/2 year Spring program with their sponsor (before beginning this formation they must have at least 1 year of prior formation). Todos los estudiantes de Confirmación completan una formación de 1½ año en la Fe Católica antes de comenzar el programa primaveral de ½ año con su padrino (antes de comenzar esta formación deben tener por lo menos 1 año de formación previa).
- If you have any questions please contact Jackie or Lia in the parish office (352-483-3500). Si tiene preguntas, póngase en contacto con Jackie o Lía en la oficina parroquial.